Roofs are essential for protecting homes. When roofing materials are in sound shape, they help to protect against water damage. If a roof is maintained properly, it can last twenty years or longer. Improper maintenance means the life of a roof is greatly diminished. With this guide, homeowners will learn five things they can do to keep their roofs serviceable as long as possible.
Roofs Are Vitally Important
A roof helps to protect a home from snow, rain, hail, and debris. If a roof is in poor shape, homes are likely to develop leaks, which can lead to mold and mildew growth. Even a minor leak, if left unattended, can cause major damages. It is imperative homeowners keep their roofs maintained. In addition to proper maintenance, it also helps if a homeowner obtains a lifetime warranty on their roof.
5 Ways to Make a Roof Last Longer
Because roofs are such a big investment, most homeowners want to do everything possible to keep them strong and secure. The following offers information on five ways homeowners can take action and keep their roofs in good shape for as long as possible.
- Homeowners should never powerwash their shingles because this can lead to serious damages. The strength of the water spray will often dislodge the shingle granules and cause bald spots.
- It is imperative homeowners ensure their roof has proper ventilation. Improper ventilation can cause condensation to form on the roof decking and will eventually lead to rot. If a roof does not have proper ventilation, homeowners should seek a roofing contractor right away.
- Cleaning the gutters is a chore many homeowners avoid because it is so annoying and time-consuming. Unfortunately, clogged gutters can cause problems with the roof that leads to water damage. In addition to cleaning the gutters, homeowners also need to make sure they trim overhanging limbs that could damage their roofs.
- A homeowner should also make sure they insulate their attics or cathedral ceilings. Failure to take this step will often result in ice dams forming in colder climates. If there are problems with ice dams, this means a homeowner needs to have their roof inspected and repaired.
- If a homeowner lives in areas where hurricanes and tornados occur frequently, it would be wise for them to fortify their roofs. Roof fortification should only be carried out by a professional roofing contractor because the work needs to be done precisely.
On average, shingled roofs will last up to twenty years. Yearly maintenance is essential for keeping roof repair issues at bay. Ideally, homeowners should inspect their roofs after each storm and at least twice a year. With proper care, roofs are more likely to offer solid protection to homes.
Hire a Roofing Contractor
If a homeowner has noticed any issues with their roof, it is important to call a professional roofing contractor right away. These professionals will work to ensure the roof of a home has not been compromised. Prompt repairs help to keep a roof functioning normally.
Learn More Today
A roof is going to last much longer if it has been maintained. Some maintenance tasks can be performed by homeowners while others are best left to the professionals. When a homeowner takes the necessary steps for protecting their roof, they can rest assured their roofs are more likely to last at least twenty years or more, depending on the materials.